Sunday, September 19, 2010

Minor updates, pro blogging, rocking out...

So here I am again on a Sunday night...staring down another work week which will likely prove to be filled with many, many twists and turns. The past 2 weeks at work have been nonstop craziness, which I can definitely handle (and enjoy) in certain doses. As a result, this weekend has been one giant do-nothing extravaganza which involved -- you guessed it -- sleep, reading, computer games, and of course the Browns' inability to win a football game. I actually did more than this (cleaned the house up a little bit) but this was definitely a time for me to recharge.

Since my last update, I haven't worked all that much on blogging. I'm reading a book right now regarding pro blogging strategies and ideas for starting something up. As time continues onward, I am believing more and more that this is a viable path and certainly one that will garner support from several sides. I'm finding that my co-workers can and will be a valuable resource and are very willing to share ideas and experiences. From the work I have done so far, here is my tentative roadmap:

I already have 2 blogs -- this one (my personal diary of sorts) and my futurist blog over at http://zaenterprizes.blogspot.com It is a goal of mine to begin writing regularly on that site while brainstorming different possibilities for more blogs. When all is said and done, I could potentially have a dozen or so blogs on unique topics which particularly interest me and that which I have a wealth of knowledge (or could potentially get smart very quickly with). I'm still going to have to improve on my writing style to make it more interesting and engaging for folks to read, and I certainly believe this can be attainable. The biggest question I have now is whether or not I have the time to dedicate to pro blogging. This remains to be seen, however I believe it will become easier and more enjoyable as I become better at it.

Last night I just finished up "When things bite back", a look at unintended consequences of technology...everything from medicine to agriculture to office ergonomics. While written back in 1996, it focuses primarily on innovations of the 19th and early to mid-20th centuries, so the themes were not obsolete for the most part. I just began reading "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell...a look into the science behind quick subconscious decision making, and ways to improve the accuracy and awareness of such decisions. It's quite an easy read so far, and I think I can knock this one out in less than a week.

This past Friday I got the opportunity to play drums at one of the many picnics at work with a group of co-workers. I did this last year and we had a whole bunch more material going into things this year than last. Overall, our performance was quite solid. Some of the songs I absolutely tore into (Born to be Wild) and others were very simple and slow (Margaritaville?) The biggest disappointment was the relatively low turnout which was mostly a result of the timing of everything. Our "show" was the last event and most everybody had run back to their offices to catch up on their work. That all said, we busted tail for the past 2 weeks practicing and we have thrown around ideas of playing together again for other events as well. I'm not really sure how this works in the grand scheme of things, as music has remained very low on my priority list as of late. But just like anything else in my life, everything is negotiable and I have the freedom to switch gears quickly if the situation dictates.

Lastly, I've been fairly involved with genealogy lately. I've been able to pull a good number of records from newspapers and family records to fit more pieces into the nearly infinitely large puzzle. Still though, this "detective work" is a perfect match for my personality and is quickly becoming a hobby which I believe will stick around with me for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment