Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cycles, priorities and new discoveries

Can't believe it's already May. The year has flown by tremendously quickly and I am absolutely amazed by how many new experiences I've had in the past couple months. As can be observed, I've slowed considerably on my writing for several reasons. Part of it is I've wanted to wait a short time before further introspection into my life, and also the fact that all these experiences are taking time away from being tied to the computer, which is probably a good thing in and of itself.

So the biggest change that has occurred in the past few weeks is the fact that I've been getting out of the house quite often during the week. I've got it down to somewhat of a routine that involves basketball on Tuesday, trivia on Wednesday and game night on Thursday. Mondays and Fridays have been pretty busy as well with other random events. This is probably the first time in my adult life where I've been involved in so much action, and indeed it has been quite thrilling. Now that I've been through this routine for a couple months now, I need to look back and decide whether or not this is a lifestyle which I would look to maintain into the future. The answer is "yes and no", as there are several positives and some negatives as well.

There is no doubt I love to be doing things with people. But just as much as I enjoy playing games, trivia, sports and such, I still need my quiet personal time. In fact, I do certainly miss the evenings spent with a book, the dogs and a cup of tea. That, and the fact that everything in my life seems to happen in 'cycles'. I'll try something new or different for weeks or months at a time, then suddenly drop it without warning because the interest was lost, or something new and shiny has caught my eye. This is quite a consistent theme which I've been conscious of for years now, but it also applies to being around people as well as being alone. So what is the next cycle? I'm not sure yet. It's a transition period again where I am reassessing my priorities.

Priorities, huh? Where are they now? Work, work and work. I feel like wanting to fix computers 16 hours a day right now. Not really looking to play games. Just want to work. These phase occurs quite often, however not so much in the recent past. I'm excited to see where this will lead. Oh, and I'm still playing games. Got back into Scrabble/anagramming. Still playing LoL. Softball season just started. Cavs are in the playoffs. So there's certainly more to life than work. But looking at it as a whole, games have taken a back seat to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment