Monday, July 19, 2010

All I really want is...

Somebody to help me out. It's just that simple. Of course, my definition of "helping" and the "terms and conditions" might confuse some people and I most certainly don't want to mislead anyone.

First, I need to define "helping". In a broad sense of the term, I use it to mean "anything that I am not skilled with, too lazy to do, or otherwise not naturally inclined". Examples of this may be mundane tasks such as washing the dishes or cutting my grass. Or stuff like cutting my hair or drilling holes in my teeth. Endeavors that would be very difficult (or dangerous) for me to do by myself. It can also mean initiating an activity or taking charge in a social setting. Again, stuff I am not naturally good at.

What does helping "not" mean? This might be even more important. I cannot count how many times in the past I have been more frustrated when people ask "can I help?" when I'm deeply involved in an activity or project which I am intensely focused on. Why? Simply because of the fact that I could never expect this person to match my intensity and competence and therefore it would be very difficult collaborate with each other. Are there flaws in this way of thinking? Definitely, but I think the fundamental reasoning behind it is solid. My method of identifying who is "a worthy companion" can be quite flawed and I can definitely pass up opportunities by shooing everyone away.

The second part has to do with the expectations others have for helping me. The answer is simple: zero. Unless we establish some sort of compensation deal beforehand (as with the barber or dentist), I feel as though I have no absolute obligation to owe anything back. That doesn't mean however, that I'm some selfish, ungrateful prick that leeches from everyone else. What it means is that I'll do whatever I feel I can, if I can. Often times, the line between "what I can do" and "what I cannot do" and "what is really difficult for me to do" isn't very clear and so I try not to follow a very strict structure. This also leaves the door open for me to provide opportunities in the future which may not be readily apparent.

So let's recap:
-I like when people help me. In fact, this might be the most important thing.
-People often "try" to help but actually do the opposite
-Helping should be without obligation or reservation. I see it the same way when I help others out as well
-There are things I am not very good with helping with myself. They are probably the same types of things I need help for myself, so a lateral reciprocation is not likely desirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment