Thursday, December 3, 2009

Current News of Note

Oh geez…the Achilles’ is flaring up in the worst way right now. And yet again, it was in the 40’s and rainy today. Let’s see. Since summer, my ankles haven’t been back to 100% at all. At least my “good” foot is back to normal. This is probably a sign of something, and I’m lost as to what it might be. I haven’t played basketball in forever, run sprints, done squats or calf raises either. So I guess that means that “resting” indefinitely is going to help much either. My shoes are fine, I haven’t had any recent trauma. OK, enough about that.

A couple cool things happened this week so far. I found a group on Facebook for St. Charles Alumni. So I joined up and shared a couple memories and read some other hilarious stories. Good times. If anyone cares to know, I’ve got a countless number of fond memories at St. Charles. On the flip side, the memories of Padua are largely forgettable. Don’t get me wrong – Padua was a great experience for me, but it was because of my good friends and not much else. In a sense, I felt like I was treated as a number…I never had any of the unique, character-shaping experiences. And a lot of it was probably my fault as well. I entered freshman year wanting to keep a very low profile, and not flaunt my knowledge or gifted intellect. And for that, I basically got what I wanted – forgettable mediocrity. As I look back, I never want to be mediocre again.

Our 10-year reunion was last week…needless to say I didn’t attend as I really didn’t have any good reason to. I’m still in contact with almost all of my valued HS friends, and I don’t get particularly excited for token parties or gatherings. It’s largely a function of my personality in the fact that I need to be “doing something” aside from mindless chit-chatting. I’ve been growing my friends list on Facebook a lot lately, and right now the goal is to try and reconnect with everyone in the St. Charles class of ’95. Not that I really expect much from it…but I just think it’s a pretty awesome thing to do.

Actually, it’s been a pretty lazy week overall. I’ve read the first half of ’48 Days to the Work You Love’ which is incredibly inspirational and reinforces several of my ideals. I’ve revived movie nights after a couple weeks’ hiatus by watching The Godfather on Sunday night. We had a great time at trivia Wednesday and the Cavaliers are looking a lot sharper now. The throwback jerseys were really sweet, even though it’s really strange seeing AP wear Hot Rod’s #18, etc.

Right now I’m hungry for a little computer gaming. I haven’t really touched a “good” game for several months now, and I’m largely afraid of becoming addicted to anything unproductive. I had my time with WoW, and was completely unashamed of the fact. But now, the “real” work begins and I can’t be throwing away as much time. Unless of course, I begin programming my own games at which point I’ll be living the dream in several ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment