Saturday, December 12, 2009

First "League of Legends" gathering, and future event planning

Hey folks, we just wrapped up our "League of Legends" LAN gathering tonight...and yeah we got owned pretty hard. The automated game matching system likes to estimate the strength of arranged teams quite high, which means us newbs were being pitted against well-established and skilled opponents. Not a great recipe, but we still made the best of it. Hopefully next time, we'll fare a little bit better.

The good news is, after some initial snafus, we were able to play a number of games without any technical issues. Now that the game is installed and working properly on our systems, this shouldn't be an area of difficulty going forward. The actual games themselves move along rather quickly, with most games being decided anywhere between 25 and 35 minutes...a very reasonable length. We were able to fit at least 7 or 8 games in the time it takes to play 5 games of DotA.

So if you look over on Facebook, you will notice I already scheduled a "League of Legends LAN Party Event" on Saturday, January 16th. This is something that I've been getting into the habit of more and more. Eventually, I hope to have all my "gatherings" posted on Facebook, since everyone has access and it basically improves my line of communication. And after all, it is almost 2010 and electronic calendars are all the rage and stuff.

Speaking of events, you may have noticed that I am breaking them down into different categories. In the past few years, everything was either DotA, Rock Band, Magic, etc. depending on the current mood of the time. I'm changing this so that we can have several concurrent interests going on at the same time. This way, I can target my audience a little better (even though this is still largely irrelevant I'm planting some seeds for the long-term at this point). Anyways, this is what I've drawn up so far in the categories department:

-House parties (Rock Band, sporting events, catered food/barbecue, karaoke)
-LAN parties (looks like League of Legends until further notice)
-Tabletop game nights

So as to the frequency of each type of event, I'm still working on this and hopefully have some type of routine in place by spring. At this point, I'm looking at having 4 "major" house parties per year, with smaller ones in between as we see fit. 1-2 LAN parties per month, and 1 tabletop game night per month. For the most part, this means that 2-3 scheduled events per month will be the norm.

Some of my friends have wondered what the motivation is behind my "off weeks", in which I essentially remove myself from society and become a human wasteland. Well, it's become apparent over the years that I need a certain amount of "breathing room" or buffer space, to keep open for good measure. It's commonly known that an extremely busy/booked schedule is not preferred, and I need to allow myself time to simply relax and explore other interests. That, and the fact that Saturday is really my only day to accomplish anything significant and/or productive for the entire day. (Sunday is my Sabbath and I believe now more than ever that a designated do-nothing day is absolutely essential).

No comments:

Post a Comment