In this installment, I will be referring to physical and mental energy as opposed to wind/solar/nuclear (although expect something to that very nature in my futurist blog coming soon!) For awhile now, I have been tracking my personal energy level, and what seems to affect it. As with just about everyone else, there are certain times where I feel like I have limitless energy, along with the motivation to move around physically and get stuff done. I am trying hard to identify certain key elements which appear to provide said energy, sometimes in a matter of seconds or less.
First one would be physical activity. It can take on several forms, however the most relevant one which comes to mind is basketball. As long as I'm free of injury, a basketball court will get my blood flowing like no other. Along the same lines are other forms of physical activity such as softball, running (which I don't really enjoy), yoga and so forth.
Second up is the outdoors. It may take me awhile to get me motivated to go outside (especially in the cold weather), but once I'm out there it's a whole different ball game. Especially if there is a ball game. There's something about being outdoors in nature that makes me wish I had more meaningful work to do out there. I actually did work outside for a few years and sometimes wish I could return to that line.
Third is "the call". Somebody needs something and I know I have the ability to help. I can make myself useful. Drop what I'm doing and figure stuff out immediately! Almost like a firefighter or EMT, I jump at the opportunity to find a solution to a problem -- as long as I feel like I have the ability (or competence) to. Strangely enough, the call can also be a serious drain on my energy if I'm already oversubscribed, and feel like I'm being pulled in several directions at once. As a vigilant guardian of my personal time, this seems to happen a lot and can cause a ton of mixed emotions.
Fourth are the "little things". Little things sometimes make me happiest, and a small spark of goodness or inspiration can provide endless amounts of energy and motivation. It always seems to come quite spontaneously such as a random discovery or act of kindness or meeting somebody new with an interesting personality.
I'm sure I can probably think of more. Energy is something I desperately need...something I desperately want. Even though I am normally in a state of bliss doing "nothing", I often feel conflicted due to the fact that I know I am capable of so much more, and I can't just do "nothing" forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment