Thursday, February 11, 2010

My hobbiest roots in computers revisited

Every few months or so, I get the itch to try to catch up on the latest trends in computer technology, which normally centers around video cards, processors and motherboards. There was at least a four-year stretch where I lived, ate and breathed computer hardware almost every waking minute. Ever since then, my connection to hardware has slowly diminished, almost to a point of pure incompetence as it is today. I fear incompetence, therefore I'll periodically "brush up" on the most recent buzz just to have a fresher idea of what constitutes as the newest, latest and greatest.

Why am I using the term "hobbyist?" I can easily explain in a few statements. The most important one however, is that the knowledge gained from hobbyist experience has little impact in the professional business IT field. No one outside of IT (and most within, for that matter) have very little interest in the latest iteration of the Intel i5-750 processor or the Radeon HD graphics card. Skills such as "handling difficult situations" and "being nice while having end-users yell at me about their computer problems" are far, FAR more important. Technical ability, attributed to natural troubleshooting technique and intuition, combined with the power of Google search round off the list.

For the past 6 or so years, I had relatively little business interest in keeping up with hardware and almost saw it as a detriment to my progress. Extreme (or not so) hardware enthusiasm is a very, VERY niche market. The benefits include the ability to customize an amazing gaming rig (if you're a hardcore gamer, which I am not), or build/sell OEM equipment to rich people looking for the latest/greatest and having the balls to mark up the price by a large enough factor. I learned after a few months working IT at a very professional level -- this isn't where the good money is. However, there are some nice side benefits!

One, people will actually remember you as the absolute "genius" of geniuses. For those who have any interest whatsoever in your little store of knowledge, you will be forever known as the "grandmaster of all things technology." Cute. Now I am subjected to a life of having my brain picked about every computer-related topic imaginable. For free. Which is fine and flattering once in awhile. The only issue is that my personality type absolutely demands a large chunk of time 100% dedicated to peace and quiet. No distractions. I think I've found a semi-happy medium, but I'm not sure. The other perk of course is the opportunity to play with and show off new, exciting technology and be an early adopter/pioneer. That's actually pretty sweet. Except it costs a bunch and I'm supposed to be using my skills and talents to MAKE money, right?

So here I am, after my sarcasm-laden semi-tirade. Deep breath. After all that, I still have an overwhelming urge to delve back into all this wonderful hardware knowledge. I think it has to do with my "futurist" tendencies. There's still a part of me that "thinks" I can have mountains of lasting enjoyment and many, many girls by displaying my vast store of hardware knowledge. Weird. So weird. Why are people so attracted to things that ultimately have little value?

No comments:

Post a Comment