Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Something other than IT for the moment

It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks for me -- in the middle of January, which is normally unheard of. In this time, I've probably played around 150 games of LoL, and am rapidly advancing in skill level. So now my computer game ego is at an all-time high and it is very hungry. As a result, my time for other activities (reading, movies, even following the Cavs) has dwindled. Although I finally finished reading The Critical Path and move on to something lighter and easier to read.

I could easily give a quick review on The Critical Path, but it wouldn't really do the book any justice at all. The author, Buckminster Fuller (Bucky for short) is essentially a futurist and inventor, much as I aspire to be. He has some quite amazing ideas and has gone to great lengths to set them into motion. The funny part is, some of my ideas as a kid mirror his -- and it's really need to actually know someone who came up with eerily similar ideas years before.

After a few months' hiatus, my curiosity surrounding MBTI personality types has been heightened once more. For myself, I am concentrated on learning more about ISTP's and what makes us tick. I've said this before, but I never actually realized (until the past year) that there were so many dynamic personality types. Back in '97 I briefly studied the Enneagram types, and found myself to be a strong 3, 5 was my secondary and 2 was my lowest. At the same time, I believed myself going through a "personality shift" and opening my mind up to more and more things. Today, I am questioning whether or not this was a personality shift at all. It may just be an attitude change from my previous mindset of trying to "fit in" with everyone. Perhaps it was back then which I found true friendship for the very first time.

So right now I guess my focus should be on what I want to accomplish for the next 3 months, before spring arrives. I don't have an specific goals aside from reading more, writing more and thinking more. Perhaps I want to attend more outside events such as MENSA gatherings or technology conventions. Or else I could play more mind games (although LoL currently occupies the top spot and has no signs of slowing). Or else it could be mastering the Art of War. There's a lot involved, but I'm ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment